Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Blog #8



So.. I was not feeling that ending at all.

Personally, I have this type of personality where I like being straight forward with people, and vice versa. The way Margaret Atwood ended the book was just a bit too vague for my taste. I understand how she wants toe leave the reader guessing, and making up his or her own mind, but I guess I am just not creative enough to do that in my mind. I guess theres a hope within my own personal thoughts, hoping that Offred indeed DOES make it safely out of Gilead with Nick by her side. Excuse my french, but it would totally suck if Nick basically set her up to be violated by the Eye. I feel as if it would be very out of character for Nick to betray Offred like that.. especially after taking so long to gain one another's trust.

From Chapter 45..." And so I step up, into the darkness within; or else the light." (295) I'll admit to my own blog that I admired Margaret Atwood's last line of the book. It had a bit of irony to it because by darkness that Offred describes, it symbolizes the mystery that lies ahead of her, and the light, sybolizing her last few ounces of hope she has for herself in obtaining a better life than what she has/had in Gilead. Also it sort of reminds me of that cliche visual the media gives about seeing the "light at the end of the tunnel". Offred must go through darkness to enter the light. In other words, Offred must risk going through the mysterious corners of the unknown, in order to come across the heaven in which she desires to embark on.

1 comment:

  1. i like your visual effects, i think atwood is a very good writer, i enjoyed her style. With the vague ending, everything is left to the imagination of the reader. Personally, I think she successfully escaped.

    ReplyDelete