Friday, April 17, 2009

Blog #3


So, currently I am a little bit confused about the relationship between the commander and Offred. I cannot really decide whether their relationship is an emotional, or physical one. If it is for company, why would the commander feel he might need the company of a handmaid, and not his own wife? Also, I wonder fi teh character of Nick is feeling any agony at all for helping Offred have an affair-like relationship with the commander... I always thought he had some personal interest in Offred, as displayed in chapter 2 when he winks at her.

A quote I found interesting on page 165:

" Ofglen and I are more comfortable with one another now, we're used to each other. Siamese twins...Now and again we vary the routel there's nothing against it, as long as we stay within the barriers. A rat in a maze is free to go anywhere, as long as it stays inside the maze."

This quote really shows the way Offred thinks of her life. She compares it to maze, where she and the other handmaids are rats, trapped inside of them. There are a lot of places to go within this maze, however it is still confind, and sheltered. Also, it is nice to see that Ofglen, and Offred have bonded more. I feel like it would be really hard to gain someone's trust, and become their good friend without the sight of many words. I guess after realizing, and understanding that they basically are under the same unappealing conditions, there is nothing to do but accept eachother as friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment