Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Blog #6

I can't help but think that Nick's relationship is quite beneficial to Offred's life right now. In chapter 41, it shows Offred escaping her current reality of her repetitive lifestyle.

Also, I am curious as to why Offred has been so wreckless with herself during this chapter. For example on page 268 she states, " I went back to Nick, time after time, on my own, without Serena knowing. it wasn't called for, there was no excuse. I did not do it for him, but for myselfentirely. I didn't even think of it as givingmyself to him, because what did I have to give?? I did not feel magnificent, but thankful, each time he would let me in. He didnt have to. In order to do this I became reckless, I took stupid chances. After beign with the Commander, I would go upstairs in teh usualy way but then I would go along the hall and down the Martha's stairs and back through the kitchen...." (268)

I believe that Offred is being so careless and carefree with her actions mainly because her life currently lacks excitement. Her affair with Nick, and also the Commander bring her life some passion, and something to take her mind off her life. The slightest bit of excitement is what Offred is looking for. In her two affairs, she probably finds a reason for herself to live. I am sure that she adores the attention from both gentlemen, even though it is very obvious she still misses her unknown husband Luke. I think that the attention that she recieves from teh Commander, and from Nick still do not make up the attention she desires from Luke, who seemed to be the love of her life. I know this because she still seems to have a lot of flashbacks of memories with Luke. If she were content with her life lovers right now, she would not feel she had to think about her past to retain her sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment