Thursday, April 23, 2009

Blog #5

" When I come out he's lying down on the king-size bed, with, I note, his shoes off. I lie down beside him, I don't have to be told. I would rather not; but it's good to lie down, I am so tired. Alone at last, I think. The fact is that I don't want to be alone with him, not on a bed, I'd rather have Serena there too. I'd rather play Scrabble." (254)

In chapter 39, we see the affair between Offred, and the Commander escalate into him renting out a hotel room for them to have sex. I feel as if Offred is somewhat of a tease to the Commander because she does not once say "no" to him. She probably does this because she is affraid of making him angry, or she might just enjoy his company, and she is afraid that he will leave her. It is interesting to me how she describes in this quote above that she is given this freedom with Commander, and she is able to clearly see her true feelings for the Commander. For some reason, she still does not enjoy the sexual intercourse with her so-called "boss", mainly because she has done it before under different, more controlled circumstances. I do not understand why she would want Serena there. It is very ironic that she would want Serena there because she finally alone time with the Commander, yet she does not want to be alone anymore. I am also confused with Offred's feelings for the Commander; I wonder if it is a crush, friendship, or infatuation due to loneliness?


"It's the least you can do."(255) I find this part, when Offred says this to herself very funny because after all of the nice gestures from the Commander, Offred must pretend to enjoy her time with him.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not really sure why Serena Joy is suddenly being so nice. My guess is that it is because she sees how miserable Offred is, maybe she just had a change of heart, decided it wasn't doing anybody any good to be mean to Offred, because she has to live with her until she gets pregnant. (possibly forever if her husband can't get her pregnant). Maybe she finally starts to understand how horrible Offreds life is and she wants to help make it just a little better. Maybe she just wants a child. I'm not really sure to be quite honest. There are hundreds of reasons why she could have suddenly gotten nice. Honestly, I think my original guess was too nice. Serena Joy has to have an alterior motive. People don't just change like that over night. What do you think Ash?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright so something that I noticed and was thinking about the other day was Offred's name. Have you noticed that if you break it up it is Off Red? I found this interesting considering that one of the main symbols/ themes of the book is the color red? I'm not really sure what this is supposed to mean, but I think Attwood meant something by it. The two major things that red symblolize are fertility and sin. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with one of these things. Maybe she named her this because she doesn't get pregnant, or maybe it's becsue she sins. I'm not quite sure. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete